The yr is coming to a detailed. As we start planning for subsequent yr’s publishing, it’s value looking again at what AJF produced in 2021. Among the many 83 articles we revealed over the past 52 weeks, we posted
- 12 On Affords
- 19 Reviews
- 17 interviews
- 8 critiques
- 5 remembrances
- 9 photograph essays
- 11 articles that landed outdoors of the above classes
- 17 AJF Lives
- 22 new submissions to AJF’s PDF Library
We additionally revealed a pair press releases. Let’s take a look at some highlights…
AJF Dwell saved on roaring
We started AJF Dwell in 2020, when the pandemic began. In 2021, we continued to ask the general public to go to with artists and gallerists from around the globe. These occasions are free. We file all of them. This yr, we uploaded 17 recordings of our AJF Dwell occasions. (We additionally produced three ticketed occasions.)
In 2020 we revealed 4 photograph essays. Our metrics present that these are a reader favourite. They’re second solely to the month-to-month On Provide article. (On Provide showcases new jewellery from our member galleries.) Due to their recognition, in 2021 we greater than doubled the variety of photograph essays. We revealed a complete of 9. Be looking out for brand new ones in 2022.
We labored with a dozen recent writers
We welcomed these contributors, new to AJF:
Established writers continued to contribute
A few of our longstanding and extra prolific writers from over time produced a number of articles for us in 2021. They included
We additionally revealed some articles from writers who hadn’t contributed articles to AJF shortly. It was good to work with them once more!
Thanks to everybody who added to the scholarship round artwork jewellery this yr!
We revealed three sequence in 2021
- Indigenous &, by matt lambert. This interview sequence with Indigenous artists will proceed in 2022. (The interview with Brian Fleetwood is right here. The one with Teresa Faris is right here.)
- Jewellery||Adjoining, by Rebekah Frank. Every article explores an artist who makes use of materials, methods, or themes associated to jewellery practices. Search for extra of these subsequent yr. (Frank wrote about Demetri Broxton, Angela Hennessy, and Hollis Chitto.)
- Our Favourite Jewellery. Many AJF members despatched in pictures of … effectively, the title says all of it: their favourite jewellery. There was just one standards. The work needed to be made by another person. These revealed as photograph essays.
Some essential members of our discipline died this yr. It was essential to honor their lives and accomplishments. The remembrances we revealed saluted
We cut up the Report in two
Mid-year, Carrie Yodanis volunteered to help in accumulating information. We additionally started asking members to provide suggestions for exhibits, movies, books, and many others. As a resuly, the month-to-month Report turned so content-rich that it bought too lengthy. To make it extra digestible, we eliminated the exhibition listings and launched a devoted web page for exhibitions. We additionally began publishing the Report twice a month.
We up to date the look of the web site
Behind the scenes, we labored emigrate our web site from Drupal to WordPress. You will have seen extra legible fonts within the physique of the articles we revealed, in addition to within the photograph captions. We additionally made the fonts bigger.
The Library continued to develop
Twenty-two new articles had been uploaded to AJF’s digital Library. Some highlights embrace
- The complete e-book Up to date Jewellery in Perspective!
- The catalog for the 2020 exhibition Danish Jewellery Field
- The catalog for the Mint Museum’s Physique Embellishment exhibition, from 2015
- The catalog for the 2020 Werke und Tage/Works and Days exhibition
- The catalog for AJF member Ariel Lavian’s Depths of Heaven exhibition
- AJF member Karin van Paassen submitted a number of objects: Earrings of the Naga, in each English and Dutch, and a booklet referred to as My Jewel that she produced throughout COVID shutdowns. It incorporates texts and pictures from 100 folks a few piece of jewellery with a narrative.
- A number of objects associated to Kadri Mälk’s work—a evaluation of her e-book Hunt:; the brochure for the exhibition Bulldog; and several other critiques of that exhibition, one by Reet Varblane and one other by Heie Marie Treier.
- The exhibition brochure for Quebec artist Gabrielle Desmarais’s first solo exhibition, Les Espaces-Satellites, held at AJF member Galerie Noel Guyomarc’h from June 10–July 10, 2021.
- The catalog for the Pilosities exhibition that befell at AJF member Galeria Tereza Seabra. It featured work by Lore Langendries, Marie Masson, and Carla Castiajo.
- The Library additionally incorporates PDFs of labor by our Maker members
AJF’s Library helps the jewellery neighborhood by offering on-line entry to jewellery scholarship that will in any other case be tough to seek out. Submit your supplies right here to share with present and future researchers.
We recognize everybody who writes for AJF and contributes to the group—we couldn’t do it with out you! AJF is all the time on the lookout for article submissions and writers, so please submit your proposals or share any of your concepts for articles.
It’s such a pleasure to supply this programming for you. For those who get pleasure from it and aren’t already a member of our group, please think about becoming a member of AJF. (See the advantages of membership right here.) Desire to make a one-time donation? Go right here.
Subsequent yr guarantees extra fascinating materials. Right here’s wishing you a contented, wholesome, and affluent 2022 that’s replete with jewellery!